Well there you have it folks—another year has come and gone. When did that happen, right? 2012 brought a lot of adventures personally, professionally, and athletically. Because this is primarily a fitness blog, I want to reminisce on my fitness highlights.
- Ran first marathon I trained for the Mercedes Marathon in 2010/2011 only to up and move to NJ the very weekend of the marathon, so I considered this my comeback race. It was everything I had hoped it’d be and more. To top it off, I had an incredible outpouring of support from family and friends!
- Ran first relay – I had never, ever considered running a relay until I was given the opportunity to join the Dixie Dirty Dozen as they ran the Dixie 200 from Atlanta to Birmingham in May. Relays are for serious runners, and in my mind I am still a newbie. It was hard and so much fun, and I made friends that are equally as crazy as I am.
- Ran first adventure race My dear friend Sherri surprised me with an entry to Alabama’s first Warrior Dash, appropriately held in the town of Warrior. The race reminded me that running is not always about PRs, speedwork, and intense training—you can’t forget to have fun. I got to be a little kid and roll around in mud and dirt!
- Ran first trail race I ran my first of hopefully many trail races because of the kindness of another friend, Dan. This race marks the beginning of my journey to run a 50K—I have been bitten by the ultra bug hard, just like friends had promised. You can read about my experience at the Birmingham Stage race here.
- PRed second marathon The other week I ran my second marathon in 4:13:02—almost 7 minutes off of my first marathon. I hit The Wall face-first and fought hard for that PR, so I am very proud. You can read my full race report here.
I’d love to hear what accomplishments you are proud of from 2012.