On Saturday I posted a review of the Sony Walkman—my new favorite running accessory. Now I want to give folks a peek into my running music, and to hear what others like to run or work out to.
I listen to music whenever I run solo, and it always makes for a good time. There’s nothing like a fun uptempo song to add a little pep to your step when you’re getting tired. Most times I will throw my iPod on Shuffle and let fate decide what I will listen to. I will sing along just as passionately to Eminem as I do to Nick Carter—as long as there’s no one within earshot.
Even when I’m not running with music, I like to sing songs in my head to keep myself entertained. My 50k soundtrack was “The Gambler” by Fun. for over seven hours. Sometimes I can control what song gets stuck in my head, but other times an earworm sneaks in and sets up camp. On one of my final long runs before my 50k, for miles I ended up chanting that little kids’ hand game song, the one that goes, “down by the river by the hanky panky where the bullfrogs jumped from bank to banky…” Anyone? Anyone?
Here’s a snippet of what’s in my ears most frequently when I run:
- Pink Because no one has a better beat, lyrics, or voice
- Bon Jovi/Bruce Springsteen You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can never take the Jersey out of the girl
- Backstreet Boys I unabashedly love them, and always will
- Mumford and Sons Great recovery run music, except for the song that sounds like a sheep is being slaughtered
- Nelly Who doesn’t get an extra shot of happiness when rocking out to “I Am Number One”?
- Foo Fighters Two of my favorites are “Everlong” and “Walk”
- Shinedown Fun beats for tempo runs
- Garth Brooks Because I too have friends in low places
- Fun. New obsession
Do you listen to music when you run? What are your favorite songs?