Made you look, didn’t I?
I love the Birmingham Ultra Trail Society (BUTS). Here’s why:
10. Watermelon and beer – We celebrate long runs properly.
9. Pace is a dirty word – Sometimes it’s relaxing to leave your watch at home. Ask a BUTS member what they’re running, and they’ll say “far,” or “fast” – no talk of splits or BQs here.
8. Laid-back goofballs – On any given run, the woods will be filled with the sound of dirty trail names, animal calls, and lots of laughter.
7. Tough cookies – Whining won’t win you any points in this crowd. A commonly heard phrase is “suck it up, Buttercup”—if it were easy, everyone would run ultras.
6. Service days – We don’t run and play only, we give back to the trail community and keep our parks clean.
5. Bearly Ultra – An ultramarathon five miles from my house? Yes please!
4. Friends – I’m 95% sure that most of the guys I run with see me as their annoying little sister who always tags along, but I’m ok with that.
3. Helpful – Ask BUTS members anything from fueling to shoe drainage to best leaves to use as toilet paper, and they’ll tell you. I learn from them on every run.
2. No runner left behind – No matter your pace, the group will run with you. That’s how I get to run with all of these 100-mile superstars.
1. Our name and asstag – ‘Nuff said.